Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Soup for the Soul


Today has been a day filled with a lot of emotion. It's my mom's birthday today. She would have been 65 years old. Her life was so much shorter than I would have liked. I wish she were still here. I find myself still wanting to pick up the phone and call her in the morning like I used to just to chat, or when something special happens, or when I'm just having a bad day. But, I know our separation is only temporary. I have no doubt that we will be able to sit and talk again. That she will be able to see my children again. It's just the separation for now that is so hard.
In honor of her birthday I'm trying to focus on the positive. I'm trying to not dwell on the pain and in so doing I wanted to post one of her famous recipes here for others to use. Those of you who know my mom know she was an excellent cook. I would love it if you all could post your favorite "mom" recipes here too. I'll have something to keep me busy trying them all out!
Since we are approaching Fall I thought I would include my mom's recipe for Ham & Beans. It's a hearty soup that is a meal in and of itself but is great served with a green salad and fresh bread.
Ingredients:
4 Quarts Water
1/2 package of white small beans
3 Ham hocks or left over ham & bone
1 White onion-chopped
1 Medium carrot-shredded
1 Small can tomato sauce
1 Hot pepper-minced (bottled jalapeno)
1 Tsp. Ground Pepper
In 8 quart pan put in water, ham hocks, or left over ham and bone. Cook at a low boil for about 2 hours. Remove and debone ham, remove fat and skin. Make sure to let ham hocks cool before deboning. Return ham to broth, add all remaining ingredients. Bring back to slow boil and cook until beans are soft, about 1 1/2 hours. Add water as needed and salt to taste.

9 comments:

Ronda said...

She is beautiful. So sorry for your loss. Was it recent? I do know how painful it is to lose someone so close. Even though we know we will see them again, it makes time on this earth seem so slow without them. Thank's for sharing her recipe. I love to try new recipes and we love soup. I will find one of my mom's recipes and post it.

Danielle Weathers said...

Thanks for your thoughts Ronda! She passed away on Valentine's Day this year. It's been almost 7 months.
I look forward to your mom's recipe!

Bennett Family said...

What a beautiful, touching tribute! I admire you. Thx for the great example of faith, determination and gratitude! You're AWESOME.

Rachel A said...

I felt some of your loss today as I read your blog and tears sprung to my eyes. (Maybe it is because I have been emotional for the past week because my oldest just went to Kindergarten but...) I will be thinking of you today. I am so sorry.

debi said...

What a blessing to have known that kind of love from her. I am sure you will pass it on to those sweet little boys in your life now.

Blessing on you and yours

Anonymous said...

So sorry Danielle about your Mom - great tribute to her like on Mothers Day. Love the recipe and will for sure try it out - thanks for sharing - she is beautiful just like you.

Be in touch!

Heidi and Corey said...

What a great pic of her and Alex. Always thinking of you...you can always call me to chat, I am home and would love to hear pretty much anything! Love you

Wendy said...

You look a lot like your mom. I'm so sorry you are missing her. The recipe sounds great. I love beans.

Sarah J. said...

Thoughts are with you and your mom. You're a wonderful person whom I'm sure took right after your mom.

Tunes


Say Hello!

If you stop by, take a minute and say hi! We would love to hear from you.

Alex

Alex

Cole

Cole

Greyson

Greyson

Visitors

Provided by the web design company directory.