I wanted to pay tribute to my mom today, on Mother's Day. She has passed from this life but so much of her lingers with me, in my heart, mind and soul. It's hard to put into words all that she has taught me. It's so much. I want to list some of my favorite things about her.
1. Every time we drove to visit her, without fail, she would call us as we were exiting the freeway to her house to ask us where we were. She had an instinct that we should be there and wanted to know where we were. It became a joke when we would get close to the exit...."Find your cell phone, Mom will be calling to check on us."
2. I loved that she never interfered with my life more than I needed or wanted her to. She always allowed me to live my life the way I wanted to without judgment from her.
3. I loved her beauty and sense of style. She was always so put together and hip. Whenever somebody would be talking to me about my mom, they always mentioned how beautiful she was.
4. I loved her cooking. She was hands down, the best cook. Period. I have a lot of favorite dishes she made like her Pork Noodles, Chicken Noodle Soup over Mashed Potatoes, Lamb or pretty much anything she decided to cook was Great!
5. I loved her zest for life. I had an opportunity to look back at some pictures while going through things in her home and most of the pictures were of her doing something. Living her life to the fullest. Whether it be white water rafting, camping, gardening, golfing, or just hanging out with friends. She actively lived her life.
6. I loved how much she loved her family. Family was always so important to my mom. She always wanted us to get together. Spend special times together. She started a lot of fun family traditions that at the time I didn't realize were traditions. But now that she is gone, I know they were part of her legacy to us. A way that we can be with her in those moments, even though she isn't here physically the essence of her spirit is there with us.
7. I loved her work ethic. My mom was such a hard worker. She was at the same job for 34 years. She taught me the value of hard work. I always had chores. She taught me how to keep a home. How to cook. How to work hard for something you want that's not in reach. But to work towards a goal. I remember when I was 14, I had just gotten my driver's license. I was driving home from school and got pulled over for speeding and not wearing a seat belt. She didn't scream and yell. She simply told me I need to get a job to pay for my ticket. I did. I got my first job at 14 working as a cashier at the local grocery store. I paid off my ticket. She taught me to take responsibility for my actions.
8. I loved how she was content with what she had. We never had much monetarily in our home but you would never know it. I never heard her complain about money or lack of it. I knew things were tight but she never let it get her down. She always made it seem like what we had was enough.
9. I loved her laugh. My mom had such a distinct laugh. It was contagious. She lit up the room.
10. I loved the way she loved me. It was in her own way that she showed it. Probably unique in some ways yet similar in a lot of ways to other mothers. I just knew it. In the things she would say, or wouldn't say. Or do or not do. Since I have become a mother myself I can see part of her in me. I'm thankful for her and all that she has taught me. I miss her so much. Everyday, I wish I could pick up the phone and hear her voice on the end of the line. Instead, I find a quiet moment of reflection to bring me closer to her. Closer than I ever thought I could be without her here. I love you MOM! Happy Mother's Day!
1. Every time we drove to visit her, without fail, she would call us as we were exiting the freeway to her house to ask us where we were. She had an instinct that we should be there and wanted to know where we were. It became a joke when we would get close to the exit...."Find your cell phone, Mom will be calling to check on us."
2. I loved that she never interfered with my life more than I needed or wanted her to. She always allowed me to live my life the way I wanted to without judgment from her.
3. I loved her beauty and sense of style. She was always so put together and hip. Whenever somebody would be talking to me about my mom, they always mentioned how beautiful she was.
4. I loved her cooking. She was hands down, the best cook. Period. I have a lot of favorite dishes she made like her Pork Noodles, Chicken Noodle Soup over Mashed Potatoes, Lamb or pretty much anything she decided to cook was Great!
5. I loved her zest for life. I had an opportunity to look back at some pictures while going through things in her home and most of the pictures were of her doing something. Living her life to the fullest. Whether it be white water rafting, camping, gardening, golfing, or just hanging out with friends. She actively lived her life.
6. I loved how much she loved her family. Family was always so important to my mom. She always wanted us to get together. Spend special times together. She started a lot of fun family traditions that at the time I didn't realize were traditions. But now that she is gone, I know they were part of her legacy to us. A way that we can be with her in those moments, even though she isn't here physically the essence of her spirit is there with us.
7. I loved her work ethic. My mom was such a hard worker. She was at the same job for 34 years. She taught me the value of hard work. I always had chores. She taught me how to keep a home. How to cook. How to work hard for something you want that's not in reach. But to work towards a goal. I remember when I was 14, I had just gotten my driver's license. I was driving home from school and got pulled over for speeding and not wearing a seat belt. She didn't scream and yell. She simply told me I need to get a job to pay for my ticket. I did. I got my first job at 14 working as a cashier at the local grocery store. I paid off my ticket. She taught me to take responsibility for my actions.
8. I loved how she was content with what she had. We never had much monetarily in our home but you would never know it. I never heard her complain about money or lack of it. I knew things were tight but she never let it get her down. She always made it seem like what we had was enough.
9. I loved her laugh. My mom had such a distinct laugh. It was contagious. She lit up the room.
10. I loved the way she loved me. It was in her own way that she showed it. Probably unique in some ways yet similar in a lot of ways to other mothers. I just knew it. In the things she would say, or wouldn't say. Or do or not do. Since I have become a mother myself I can see part of her in me. I'm thankful for her and all that she has taught me. I miss her so much. Everyday, I wish I could pick up the phone and hear her voice on the end of the line. Instead, I find a quiet moment of reflection to bring me closer to her. Closer than I ever thought I could be without her here. I love you MOM! Happy Mother's Day!




3 comments:
So very sweet! Brings tears to my eyes and yet a sense of joy in my heart. Thanks for sharing all of these wonderful things about your mom.
So very sweet! Brings tears to my eyes and yet a sense of joy in my heart. Thanks for sharing all of these wonderful things about your mom.
That was beautiful.
Also, great job on the pics. You are an awesome photographer! Your little boys are SO cute too! Very cute first haircut of Greyson.
Post a Comment